Wednesday, March 20, 2013

How To Make A Moby Wrap For 6 Bucks- Without A Sewing Machine!

If you happen to be expecting a baby, chances are you have been inundated with talk of all kinds of expensive gadgets that everybody says is a "must have!" baby item. Most likely baby carriers have come up as a topic of conversation, as the convenience and trendiness of baby carriers is a popular topic nowadays.

My three babies each lived in a Moby Wrap the first six months of their lives. Several friends have asked if a Moby Wrap is worth the money.

Well,since I only spent SIX BUCKS on my Moby Wrap (a wrap that can cost anywhere from $47-$200 retail), I tell them the my Moby Wrap was worth every single penny.

Of course, the next question they ask is how I made my Moby Wrap, and I thought I should share.

Nothing in the world is simpler than making a Moby Wrap. Well, maybe breathing. But not much else.

Here is everything you need to make your Moby:

 -5 yards (yes, yards) of 60/40 cotton/polyester fabric (the JoAnn's next to my house only had 50/50 blend and that worked fine. If you have no idea what I am talking about, go to JoAnn's Fabric store and tell them that you need this fabric and they will help you find it).  If you are larger than a size 10 when not pregnant, you should get 5 1/2 yards. Choose whatever color you would like- but know that if you are having a summer baby, a lighter color would be better
-Measuring tape
-Fabric shears
-Fabric marker or chalk (something to make very small markings on the fabric)

That's it! NO sewing machine needed!

Here's what you do:

1. Fold the fabric in half like a hot dog. Your fabric should be roughly 30 inches wide and five yards long.

2. Next, fold it in half like a hamburger, so it is now 30 inches wide by 2 1/2 yards long.

3. Take your measuring tape and measure 20 inches. Make a small mark with your marker or chalk at 20 inches.

4. Move your measuring tape up a foot or two and mark 20 inches again.

Continue doing this all the way up the fabric.
 5. Next, cut the fabric lengthwise the entire 2 1/2 yards using the small markings as a guide to try and get a straight cut. Your line does not need to be perfectly straight- this is not an exact science. There is a lot of room for error.
In the end, you will have 3 Moby Wraps- each of them 20 inches wide and 5 yards long. I suggest using a marker or a patch or something similar to mark the center of the Moby Wrap as this will help you put it on.

Using a 40% off JoAnn's coupon, I spent $18 on the five yards of fabric. That's $6 each- I used one for all three of my babies, and gave two away as gifts.

Here is a video to  learn how to put on the Moby Wrap:


And there you have it: A way to make your own Moby Wrap simply and super cheap!

A quick couple of notes: I only used this wrap to carry my babies on the front. Friends have told me that this material is too stretchy to carry your baby on your back, so please use common sense- if the baby doesn't feel secure, the baby isn't secure.

Also, always make sure that you have fabric under your baby's bum. A couple of times I almost had my baby fall out of the bottom of the wrap, so make sure the baby is sitting nicely on the fabric and won't fall out.

Good luck! Best Blogger Tips
  • Stumble This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Share On Reddit
  • Fave On Technorati
  • Buzz This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Digg This Post
  • Share On Facebook
Blog Gadgets

2 comments:

  1. if I only want onr wrap, how much fabric should I reduce it to? I.know nothing about this kind of thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your question- that is a great one!

    Theoretically, you could buy 2 1/2 yards of fabric, cut it in thirdslengthwise (like a hot dog) and then sew two of the 2 1/2 yard pieces together. That would require sewing, and I have never tried it so I don't know if it would ruin the integrity of the stretch or not. I'm really not sure how it woudl turn out in the end, but if you try it, let us know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete